Moving house is one of the most stressful times of your life, yet you can make things easier for yourself by getting organized in advance. Here is a list of things to check off before your moving day:
• Take final meter readings for all of your utilities, gas, electric and water, and give them to your utility companies, along with your new address if appropriate.
• Collect any spare copies of your house keys from neighbours and friends.
• Cancel your existing home insurance policy and organize a new one.
• Don’t forget to notify any companies and services that will need your new address. Contact the following as examples and provide them with your change of address; doctor’s surgery, library, bank, supermarket loyalty card schemes, life insurance, car insurance company, the DVLA, TV licence, your Internet service provider, your children’s school, and your place of work.
• Don’t forget to have your mail redirected via Royal Mail. There may be a small charge, but ensuring all important documents are properly redirected to your new address will pay dividends towards your peace of mind.
• If you are packing your own things, it’s a good idea to gather as many large cardboard boxes as possible; supermarkets sometimes give away these. If you go in and ask at a quiet time, you may be given more than you possibly need. You could also ask a friend who may recently have moved if they have any left. Many people store cardboard boxes folded flat in their garage and may be happy to lend them to you.
• Moving can be very stressful and upsetting for children and pets, so if you have any, think about finding them a babysitter or family member to look after them while all the disruption of the removal process is actually taking place.
• Update your details on the electoral register. Not doing so could adversely affect your credit rating.
W.H. Cox and Son have been helping people to move since 1969 and are experts at making the whole process as stress-free as possible. We offer professional services at affordable prices and are rated as the best removal company in the Buckinghamshire area so contact us now for a free consultation, and make your moving day enjoyable and worry-free.